How to get a job as DevOps engineer?
You must be willing to take up any challenges in your work life if you are planning to switch your career as a DevOps engineer/professional. The reason is that DevOps job role is composed of multiple segments. If you want to be successful with your career on DevOps, please do not follow the wrong sources of information available on the internet. In my experience, I've mentored many people who misunderstood the DevOps profession/role completely.
Before proceeding, let me prove to you the demand for DevOps professionals around the world. According to Google Trends, there is a 300% increase in traffic for DevOps topic/keyword in Google Search, from 2018 to 2019. With the data points, you can understand that there is a high demand for DevOps engineers around the world.
Now, let's see a step by step procedure on how to get a job as a DevOps engineer on leading startups and MNCs. The below mentioned steps are applicable for both fresher as well as experienced candidates.
- Get the conceptual understanding of DevOps right. Please check out our video on YouTube to gain a conceptual understanding of DevOps. Also, read our previous post on What is DevOps? These can give you a better way to get started.
- Find a perfect coach/trainer for DevOps to get complete hands-on in tools such as Ansible, Chef, Docker, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, Git, Jenkins, ELK (Elastic), and Terraform. Also, you need some skills in Linux, Python, and AWS/Google cloud.
- After completing the training program, get a project idea from your DevOps coach and execute it with his help.
- Create an account in GitHub and showcase all of your project work.
- Create an account on LinkedIn, add an impressive photo with a better background image. Do update your account with DevOps skills that you gained from the training program.
- Prepare a resume mentioning DevOps skills. Also, refer to your GitHub and LinkedIn profile links on the top.
- Search Google/LinkedIn and post job applications to companies. I would recommend any growing product-based startup company because the learning curve is steeper. You cannot get a steep learning curve if you choose project-based MNC companies.
It is how you can get a job as a DevOps engineer. Always try to follow the steps mentioned above. At SloopStash, we are following a proper DevOps approach, and that what I've shared here. Feel free to leave a comment or contact us.
Hope it helps. Thank you.
Recent videos about SloopEngine