How to get a job as a DevOps engineer?
You must be willing to take up any challenges in your work life if you are planning to switch your career as a DevOps engineer/professional. The reason is that the DevOps job role is composed of multiple segments. If you want to be successful with your career in DevOps, please do not follow the wrong sources of information available on the internet. In my experience, I've mentored many people who misunderstood the DevOps profession/role completely.
Before proceeding, let me prove to you the demand for DevOps professionals around the world. According to Google Trends, there is a 700% increase in traffic for DevOps topics/keywords in Google Search, from 2014 to till now. With the data points, you can understand that there is a high demand for DevOps engineers around the world.
Now, let's see a step by step procedure on how to get a DevOps engineer job role on leading startups and MNCs. The below mentioned steps are applicable for both fresher as well as experienced candidates.
- Get the correct conceptual understanding of DevOps. Please check out this blog post on get a conceptual understanding of the DevOps profession. Also, read another blog post on What is DevOps?. These posts shows you a better way to get started with DevOps job career.
- Find a perfect coach/trainer for DevOps to get complete hands-on in tools such as Ansible, Chef, Docker, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, Git, Jenkins, ELK (Elastic), and Terraform. Also, you need skills in Linux, Python, and AWS/Google/Azure cloud.
- After completing the training program, get a project idea from your DevOps coach and execute it with his help.
- Create an account on GitHub and showcase all of your project work.
- Create an account on LinkedIn, and add an impressive photo with a better background image. Update your account with the DevOps skills you gained from the training program.
- Prepare a resume mentioning DevOps skills. Also, refer to your GitHub and LinkedIn profile links on the top.
- Search Google/LinkedIn and post job applications to companies. I would recommend any growing product-based startup company because the learning curve is steeper. You cannot get a steep learning curve if you choose project-based MNC companies.
This is how you can get a job as a DevOps engineer. Always try to follow the steps mentioned above. At SloopStash, we are following a proper DevOps approach, and sharing our DevOps and AWS learnings through our training programs. Feel free to contact us.
Hope it helps. Thank you.